On December 5 1868 seven Dominican Sisters arrived in Adelaide from Cabra, Dublin, at the invitation of Bishop Sheil.
The Sisters’ task was to conduct an intermediate school for girls at St Mary’s Convent in Franklin Street, Adelaide. As more Sisters joined the Order, in 1886 they opened a school and convent at Cabra, Clarence Gardens, which offered secondary education and boarding facilities.
As the need arose the Dominican Sisters from Cabra established St Rose’s Convent in Kapunda in 1892, Semaphore (1899), Glenelg (1903), St Therese’s Colonel Light Gardens (1925), St Anthony’s Edwardstown (1930), St Catherine’s Stirling (1946), St Bernadette’s St Marys (1952), Our Lady of the Visitation Taperoo (1953), Our Lady of Grace Glengowrie (1954), St Albert’s Loxton (1956) and St John the Apostle Christies Beach (1965).
Each year the Dominican Old Scholars Association gives an award to each of these schools to acknowledge a student who has demonstrated through all aspects of their schooling to embrace the Dominican motto of ‘veritas’ (truth).
Past students from the schools established by the Sisters by 1908 joined together to form the Dominican Old Scholars Association and since then have welcomed past students from the newer schools. They have continued to meet over the years, but the numbers are dwindling.
Any person who has attended any Dominican school is welcome and entitled to belong to the association. Details for membership can be arranged by contacting secretary Maxine Liebich 8379 7331 or attending one of its gatherings.
The next function will be held on Sunday August 12 commencing with Mass in the Cabra Chapel at 10am followed by refreshments in the Teresa Moore Centre. It is hoped this function will attract a large number of members, new and old, so that the association can continue into the future.
A further function is organised for the ‘Summer Reunion’ at Sophia on Sunday January 20 2019 at 2pm.Jump to next article