The Southern Cross

Read the latest edition. Latest edition

Newcastle final sentencing hearing

News

Archbishop Philip Wilson will return to the New South Wales Local Court on August 14 for final sentencing after being assessed for suitability for home detention.

Comments
Comments Print article

Last month Archbishop Wilson was sentenced to a non-parole period of imprisonment for six months with an additional period of six months to be served on parole. Magistrate Robert Stone recommended that the sentence be served as home detention, subject to an assessment by Correctional Services.

Archbishop Wilson has indicated an intention to lodge an appeal against his conviction to the District Court of New South Wales.

Bishop Greg O’Kelly SJ said the arrangements made by Pope Francis for his care of the Archdiocese as Apostolic Administrator remain in place.

Archbishop Wilson stood down from all duties after his conviction and the Pope subsequently handed authority to Bishop O’Kelly.

After the sentencing hearing on July 3, Bishop O’Kelly said he had witnessed the “anguish and grief of victims” and the Church must continue all efforts to listen and support them.

Comments

Show comments Hide comments
Will my comment be published? Read the guidelines.

More News stories

Loading next article