The State Government today issued a Code Red to boost homelessness services across the city as temperatures soar into the 40s during the week.
The Code Red means homelessness agencies will increase their services during the hot weather, including extending their operating hours from today (Monday) through to Wednesday January 16.
In addition to the Code Red, the Department of Human Services has activated the Telecross REDi phone service tomorrow and Wednesday – a potentially lifesaving service run by the Red Cross that provides free welfare checks at regular intervals during heatwave events.
Minister for Human Services Michelle Lensink said increasing homelessness services were vital in the extreme heat.
“Agencies across Adelaide will extend their daytime operating hours over the next few days to ensure people sleeping rough are keeping cool and well-hydrated during the extreme heat,” she said.
“I urge the community to check on the elderly, people who live alone, with disability or mental illness and those who are housebound, frail and the aged.”
The Minister also urged vulnerable members of the community to register with the free TeleCross REDi phone service. Those registered can receive a phone call up to three times a day to check on how they are coping and the trained Red Cross volunteers can also provide tips to stay cool or activate an emergency procedure if required.
The following homelessness agencies will extend daytime operating hours from today to Wednesday January 16:
• Hutt St Centre, 257 Hutt St Adelaide, will extend its hours from 7am until 7pm;
• Trace-A-Place (SYC), 135 Currie St Adelaide, will extend hours from 5pm to 7pm;
• Street to Home will be providing additional outreach services to people sleeping rough throughout this period;
• Westcare (Baptist Care SA), 11/19 Millers Ct Adelaide will provide services within their normal operating hours of 9am to 3pm;
• The SA Homelessness Gateway Service will continue to operate 24/7. Anyone who is sleeping rough is encouraged to contact them on 1800 003 308.
To register for the Telecross REDi service phone 1800 188 071 or email email@example.comJump to next article