The Southern Cross The Southern Cross

Read the latest edition. Latest edition

New gym honours the past


The history of Marist education at Mitchell Park has been recognised in the naming of a new building complex at Sacred Heart College Champagnat Campus.

Print article

Designed by AOL Architects and built by BADGE Constructions, the St Joseph’s Centre comprises a gymnasium, eight state-of-the-art learning spaces, a large function centre and kitchen, and three new outdoor courts for netball and tennis.

With retractable seating for 374 people and space for approximately 1200 students and staff, the gymnasium, known as Marist Hall, has already proved to be a highly effective meeting space, complete with an impressive 7x4m LED screen, for assemblies, school Masses and functions.

Champagnat Campus began as Joseph’s College in 1967. Governed by the Marist Brothers, it was described as ‘preparatory to Sacred Heart College’ at Somerton Park and used the same college crest.

St Joseph’s operated under that name until 1977 when it became Sacred Heart Junior Campus.

During the amalgamations between Sacred Heart College Middle School and Sacred Heart College Senior, and then between Sacred Heart and Marymount Colleges, significant effort was invested to ensure that important elements of the Marymount story were preserved, with the Marymount Building and Good Samaritan Centre being named in honour of the College and the charism respectively.

“As the final element of the new campus’ master plan, we have therefore chosen to call our new gym complex the St Joseph’s Centre as a homage to the origins of Marist education in Mitchell Park and, of course more significantly, the earthly father of Jesus,” deputy principal Daniel Head said.

Archbishop Patrick O’Regan opened and blessed the St Joseph’s Centre on March 12.

Champagnat Campus is a co-educational learning environment for Years 7 to 9.

More Schools stories

Loading next article