Guest speaker Carmel Critchley gave a talk on the early days of SA Catholicism, including the building of the Most Holy Redeemer Catholic Church at Murray Bridge.
Carmel’s descendants, John and Ellen Critchley, and their eight children came to SA in 1842 and settled in the Rockleigh/Callington area.
On September 20 1885, six years after the bridge over the Murray River was completed, Father James Martin celebrated Mass at Callington.
The foundation stone for Most Holy Redeemer Church was laid on September 4 1910 and it was opened just four months later on January 30 1911. It was built by volunteers and no debt was incurred.
Father Con Crowley was the first priest of the parish.
About 20 women attended the regional day on July 26. President’s reports were read from each branch (Murray Bridge, Birdwood and Stirling).
The meeting was followed by morning tea, liturgy of the word led by Deacon Arturo Jimenea and a luncheon.Jump to next article