Archbishop Wilson has confirmed he will take leave several weeks prior to his trial in the Newcastle Magistrate’s Court in order to prepare for his defence against a charge of concealing a serious indictable offence.
The two-week trial will commence on November 27 following the rejection of an appeal against the offence by the New South Wales Court of Appeal.
Archbishop Wilson said it was important to have clarification on some of the points of law which had been raised by his legal team.
“This is an extremely complex case for a number of reasons, including because the events date back 40 years, because NSW seems to be the only State with a law of this nature, and because the law has changed so substantially over the years,” he said.
“Now I am keen to move onto the trial preparation phase and will take time away from my duties when the trial approaches so that I can prepare my defence and demonstrate my innocence.”
Jump to next article